TAKING THE STAGE: (Jossey-Bass, 2014)
This book shows women how to communicate with courage and confidence in every situation. It is full of real-life examples that show readers how to make the most of every opportunity to have their voices heard. Specifically, it shows women how to:
- Adopt a taking the stage mindset
- Speak up confidently, even when others don’t agree
- Convey their accomplishments without self-doubt
- Be assertive, not aggressive
- Deliver clear and convincing messages
- Script themselves for success
- Move beyond minimizing language and apology
- Find their own powerful and authentic voice
- Achieve confident body language and presence.
By applying these techniques to every communication, women will be recognized as leaders and attain positions of influence. This book is for women at all levels and for managers and executives committed to supporting women on their leadership journey.
EXCERPT FROM TAKING THE STAGE
“I’ve written this book so women can find their own strong voices, seize new opportunities to lead, and advance their careers. . . . Taking the Stage puts forth a compelling strategy for reversing traditional female socialization, thereby helping us become more comfortable in the spotlight.
It will show you how to take your rightful place on the corporate stage to advance yourself and your ideas.
The Humphrey Group’s work with tens of thousands of women for more than twenty five years has given us a powerful source of insight that has shaped our assumptions about how women communicate in business and beyond.”
WHAT PEOPLE SAY ABOUT TAKING THE STAGE
“Speaking with strength and confidence is a vital skill for both men and women. Judith Humphrey’s book, Taking the Stage, is a must-read for women who wish to achieve this goal.”
–Elyse Allan, president and CEO, GE Canada
“Judith Humphrey puts forward important ideas that are necessary for women’s advancement, and Taking the Stage includes a set of clear guidelines for individual change. This is a welcome first step in the shift from a ‘fitting in’ male model to an ‘organizational fit,’ male-and-female model where both leadership styles are valued and rewarded.”
–Judy B. Rosener, professor emerita, Paul Merage School of Business, University of California, Irvine, and author, America’s Competitive Secret: Women Managers
“I have brought Judith Humphrey’s brilliant program “Taking the Stage” into three companies on five continents. The results have been extraordinary. Women all over the world have discovered—as readers will—how to express themselves with courage and confidence, whether on the shop floor or in the executive suite.”
–Kate Bishop, executive vice president, HR (Europe), CEVA Logistics
ARTICLES, INTERVIEWS, AND REVIEWS OF TAKING THE STAGE
- Rebecca Knight, “Book Review: Taking the Stage’ by Judith Humphrey: Do Not nod or apologize. Strong words are needed if women want to advance your career,” The Financial Times, March 5, 2015.
- Sofia Beuchat, “Las Mujerwes Debew Perder el Miedo al Liderazgo,” Women Must Overcome the Fear of Being Leaders,” El Mercurio, March 23, 2015.
- 33 Voices, “Judith Humphrey: Taking the Stage,” Episode 908
- Conversation about “Taking the Stage” at University of Toronto’s Rotman Business School, Leadership Series; with Alison Smith
- Daytime Interview, Rogers TV, November 26, 2015